The concept for Year 10 Scientific Inquiry and Communication (10SIN) was born out of an internal monologue that went something like this:
|So let's do it in class!|
"Wouldn't it be cool to do science fair?"
"Yeah, but it takes up so much time."
"Why not do it as an option class?"
"Hmm... that may just work."I went to my head of department, told her my idea, we filled out a course application, and to my delight the course got approved.
Since the approval last year my vision of 10SIN has evolved quite significantly. Science fair is still going to a large part, however I really want to incorporate the following:
- The Nature of Science strand of the NZ Curriculum at the heart of the course.
- Project-based learning that produces high-quality artifacts.
- Student agency.
- Communication of science in different media (YouTube, blogs, infographics, documentaries, popular science literature etc.)
- Audiences outside of class.
- A website and blog that is curated by the class.
- WAY COOL SCIENCE STUFF!!!
All with a bit of e-learning flair thrown in. It's not going to be easy!